Choosing an awning fabric can be tough, especially with so many styles and patterns available. We found this article on Better Homes and Garden’s website to help decide the best fabric.
When selecting a fabric to complement your home and landscape, designer Rene Waltke Suhre, awning designer Steve Sommer, and merchandising manager Paige Mullis of Glen Raven Fabrics suggest following these guidelines:
• Determine whether you want the awnings to blend with your home’s facade or become a colorful focal point. Use the style of your home to help in your decision.
• Consider your home’s setting. Choose neutral and earthy hues for woodland areas and bright tones for sunny seashore or poolside patios. For a look that fits every style of home, consider black-and-white stripes.
• Peruse your awning contractor’s portfolio for style and fabric options that work on homes similar in style to yours.
• Look for fabrics that complement the architectural style of your home: Traditional styles might call for forest green, neutrals, or navy. Bar stripes might work for colonials or cottage-style homes. Beige, salmon, or terra-cotta stripes work well with Southwestern-style and stucco-sided homes.
• Stay with straight-lined awnings for traditional homes. Dress up contemporary homes with awnings with scalloped- or notched-edge valances. Keep the awning design simple and the fabric solid on homes with a lot of angled rooflines or architectural elements.
• Pick patterns that are proportionate to the size of your house and your awning; small stripes may look busy on a large expanse of fabric, while wide-striped fabrics may overwhelm a small ranch.
• Perk-up a solid awning with scalloped, keyhole, or notched-edge valances; contrasting trim; or tassels that match masses of color in a nearby garden.
• Coordinate awning fabrics with the colors on your home’s exterior, such as the trim, shingles, and exterior paint color.
• Extend your interior style with colors and patterns that reflect those in the adjoining interior rooms.
• Enjoy the process. “Awnings should be a reflection of your personality,” Sommer says.
Call Interstate Awning for your awning options today! 423-538-4070